In 1 Peter 3:15, it says, “but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts…”
To make holy, that is, (ceremonially) purify or consecrate; (mentally) to venerate: – hallow, be holy, sanctify.
SANC’TIFY, v.t. [Low L. sanctifico; from sanctus, holy, and facio, to make.]
1. In a general sense, to cleanse, purify or make holy.
2. To separate, set apart or appoint to a holy, sacred or religious use.
3. To purify; to prepare for divine service, and for partaking of holy things. Exo 19.
4. To separate, ordain and appoint to the work of redemption and the government of the church. John 10.
5. To cleanse from corruption; to purify from sin; to make holy be detaching the affections from the world and its defilements, and exalting them to a supreme love to God.
6. To make the means of holiness; to render productive of holiness or piety.
7. To make free from guilt.
8. To secure from violation.
Can we do this? 1 Peter 1:13-16 tells us to… 13 Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; because it is written, “YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY.”
5:25-27 also says, “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless.
John 17:17 says, “Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.” AHA!
Oh what a beautiful picture…being washed in God’s Word! I think that’s why I love to listen to it read to me out loud. I love to hear it quoted. I just soak it in, every syllable of it!
In light of the idea of keeping our children pure…and even ourselves, what steps can we do to be sanctified…holy…set apart?
Even if our husbands are not washing us in the word, we can be washing our children in God’s Word. It’s a whole lifestyle change….remember…we are aliens and strangers here….this world is only temporary. Where do we hang our hat? We can be keeping them set apart by:
- Getting rid of the television
- Getting rid of social influences that thwart holiness (this may include neighbors or family members)
- Get rid of reading material that is opposite of purity
- Know where your children are at all times and be with them
- Protecting our sons’ eyes from immodest women, clothing, magazines at the stores (how about turning magazines around at the checkout? I do.)
- Not taking our families to beaches or swim areas in which immodest apparel is worn.
- Make sure we and our daughters are dressed in purity, which includes swimwear or running around the house in anything see-through, too short, low cut, etc.
- Speak to each other in love, encouraging each other
Proverbs 16:3 Commit your works to the LORD And your plans will be established.
Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.
Romans 8:12-14 So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh–for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
The time we have with our children is oh so short!
But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints; and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be partakers with them; for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light (for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth), trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them; for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret. But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light. For this reason it says, “Awake, sleeper, And arise from the dead, And Christ will shine on you.” Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father.