Soak pinto beans overnight, drain, put in fresh water and cook all day. Make lots for leftovers, but use a big pot and watch that water!

In the evening, drain and set a few cups aside for one meal.

Add a can of tomato something, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and lots of salt to make chili. You can also add hamburger if you want to. We serve with chopped onion and shredded cheese. We have also enjoyed it in bread bowls that we made.

The next day, take the leftovers and smash them. If they are too juicy, run them through the food processor (the blade) and make refried beans to have as nachos with more cheese, onion, lettuce, sour cream.

The next night, have homemade pizza with sauce, any kind of cheese, and anything you can find to put on it, even if it’s just hamburger…or just cheese!

The next night, take the remainder of the smashed, seasoned beans and have burritos.

The next day, take out the beans that were set aside and add something tomatoey (my own word), but don’t make it runny, lots of salt, cumin and make some hush puppies or corn bread. Serve the beans over.

The following day, make up some macaroni. Throw all the leftover beans in with the drained macaroni then add cheese. If it needs thinning, ad a bit of water or tomato something. Wha la! Chilimac! To stretch it, make a bisquick topping and spread it over the whole thing.

Tags: , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, September 19th, 2008 at 5:58 am and is filed under Kitchen Cares, Organization. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

13 comments so far

1.  Chelsey
September 19th, 2008 at 6:06 am

I LOVE your site. It is full of wonderful and practical wisdom and insight. I am getting ready to start a Biblically Healthy Living Blog (actually revamp one I already have). I would like it to be a site of eclectic things that have anything to do with healthy lving. Frugality, recipes, natural products, making your own products, weight etc. I am wanting it to be a group site with several contributors. Would you be willing to be a part of this? It is still in the beginning stages, but I’m thinking of having some staple featured writers of various topics… would you be interested in something like this? You could write as little or as often as you’d like. Let me know! :)

2.  Jessica
September 19th, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Thanks for posting such great tips!

3.  Tina
September 20th, 2008 at 3:40 pm

I was so excited to see your email invitation to come visit you over here! Thank you SO very much! I plan to add your button to my sidebar when I have time (somewhere in between diaper changes, meals, reading, runny noses etc. :)).
Blessings!
Tina

4.  Miss Amanda
September 20th, 2008 at 3:46 pm

I love beans and rice, so I could totally live on them for a week! :) You have some great ideas and knowing your family and I sure it works great!
btw… I LOVE your site! So many great tips and encouraging words!
Miss Amanda

5.  Mrs. Mordecai
September 26th, 2008 at 8:15 am

Great ideas! I’m a huge fan of beans in the diet. How can you beat healthy and cheap? Thanks for the inspiration.

6.  Amity
September 26th, 2008 at 4:16 pm

I am so glad that you started blogging again..thanks for the e-mail letting me know :-)

7.  lylah ledner
September 30th, 2008 at 12:55 pm

this is fantastic! love it.

8.  $5 Dinner Mom
October 2nd, 2008 at 7:48 pm

I used to live in the Dominican Republic. We made rice and beans pizza a few times. It was really good! Brought back lots of memories seeing you write about it here! :)

9.  Rebecca Knox
October 5th, 2008 at 7:48 pm

Thanks for the great rice and bean tips! We’re learning to eat a lot of them here, too, and I appreciate your ideas!

10.  Lauren
July 14th, 2009 at 10:41 am

Mmm…I may have to try this sometime with black beans… :-) Thanks for the tips!

11.  The Prudent Homemaker
October 13th, 2009 at 6:50 am

I will make a big pot of beans, and use some that week for a couple of nights, and freeze the rest to use another week.

12.  Michelle
October 13th, 2009 at 6:59 am

Thanks for the great ideas. I’ve only ever done great northern beans for bean soup with ham. I’m going to have to be brave and try black beans for all the tex-mex we love!

13.  JennInSeattle
April 22nd, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Still coming to your site and learning, thanks Ruth!

4 Trackbacks/Pings

1. 1000 ways to save day 3! « Keep it Simple    Sep 29 2008 / 6am:

[...] enough about beans yet? There are some wonderful women who put together a week of bean recipes HERE and Crystal at Biblical Womanhood did the same [...]

2. How to Live on Beans and Rice for a Week :: Money Saving Mom®    Dec 14 2010 / 8am:

[...] I read Ruth’s post here on how to live on beans and rice for a week, I thought it’d be fun to try and come up with my [...]

3. Ayurveda    Aug 14 2011 / 8am:

Yoga…

But First, We Have Coffee » Blog Archive » How To Live On Beans and Rice For a Week, almost…

4. 52 Different Ways to Save $100 Per Year: Eat More Beans {Week 47} - Money Saving Mom®    Mar 11 2014 / 12pm:

[…] I read Ruth’s post here on how to live on beans and rice for a week, I thought it’d be fun to try and come up with my own […]